29 January 2013

Les Misérables


Honestly I have never been a big fan of musicals, I love “Singing in the rain” but come on, who doesn’t? And when I watched “Dancer in the dark” also I was deeply moved and touched.

I started to watch “Les Misérables” of Tom Hooper because it’s a movie you simply have to watch, and I really didn’t expect to even like it so much. It was interesting and even in the middle a little boring but as far as the story goes on; the movies took me with its waves. And the last 30 minutes was amazing. Of course the acting is brilliant, the directing and cinematography is great, costume design is very good but still there is something very special that catches you after the failed revolution scene and keeps you there until the final scene. To be honest I have never thought a musical could possibly make me cry, I watched the scene when Marius sings for his dead revolutionary friends three times tonight and each time I had tears in my eyes; frankly the first time I cried, the second and third times I had tears in my eyes!

“There’s a grief can’t be spoken

There’s a pain that goes on and on

Empty chairs at empty tables

Now my friends are dead and gone …”

My favorite character in “Les Misérables” has been always Inspector Javert; still is, but now I have another favorite as well and that’s Éponine, the grown daughter of Thénardier. Well it’s me; I like them even better than the main characters.

And still my favorite version of non-musical “Les Misérables” is the one with Gérard Depardieu as Jean Valjean and John Malkovich as Javert; it was a mini-series done in 2002.

This last version is a great work and a must see movie though.     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment